Friday, December 01, 2006

Christmas Lights

Well, most of you know that I will dearly miss Texas when I move to good ole' Looeeville to go to seminary. I just wanted to give you guys a tast of what I will miss. Three things have really caught my eye this year as I have been driving around the Kingsland/Granite Shoals area (which is where we live for those that don't know) admiring the beautiful Christmas decorations. Let me remind you that this area is made up of Jeff Foxworthy's favorite kind of people. REDNECKS!!
 
#1 - Yesterday I was driving home from my deer blind when I saw a partial nativity scene in a front yard. I saw Mary and Joseph admiring their beautiful baby boy who was lying in a manger. Each figure lit up and it was really great. At first glance I thought their were two animals gathered around but upon a closer inspection I found that not to be true. Guess who was present at Jesus' birth! Rudolph and one other reindeer!! Yep, according to one family in Kingsland, Rudolph and a fellow reindeer were present at Jesus' birth.
 
#2 - This one just makes me laugh. Jason and I were heading home from a football game and we examined a decorated yard near my house. Jason made the comment that he didn't think that it looked very good and I have to agree. This family took the approach to Christmas decor that requires no order or planning. It looked like the house threw up Christmas lights and the trees in the fron yard caught them. Come on, take some pride in your lighting.
 
#3 - My personal favorite. Some people put figures in their yard that are outlined in Christmas lights. A very common figure is the classic white deer with white lights along every contour and curve to bring the animal to life. There are many other figures such as Santa, Christmas trees, crosses, reindeer, stars, bells and holly. One individual in Granite Shoals has really put to shame any Christmas figure this side of the Mississippi. I laugh every time I drive home and see the CEMENT TRUCK lit up in his front yard with the MIXING BUCKET spinning and CEMENT pouring out the back!! All done with red and white lights. Whos decorates their yard with a Christmas Light CEMENT TRUCK? (rednecks)
 
So anyway, I will miss Texas...but I'll be alright.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Ryan,

There is a guy in Lamesa who has a crop duster in his front yard, complete with spinning lights for a propeller.

How can you not like redneck decorations?

Anonymous said...

in the blanket area, it's tractors with spinning wheels. i'll have to pay attention when i go home next time. i'm sure there's worse.

catherine shea politte said...

I think you should hang red lights in your tree resembling a dead deer you just shot and are 'cleaning' or whatever you call that part of the process. Not sure how you could imitate the awful FUNK smell that goes along with the experience. :) I'm definitely taking the boys out next week to look for redneck Christmas lights. Take some pics and post them!! I want to see! Love you....hey check out Sylas' blog - he's been writing a lot lately and there are some really great pics of the boys. :)