Thursday, June 11, 2009

Womanly Dominion


I have recently finished a book called Womanly Dominion: More than a Gentle and Quiet Spirit, by Mark Chanski. After Ryan was recommended to read Chanski's book about Manly Dominion and LOVED it he picked this up for me. While many of us will quickly cast aside the thought of reading another book on how to be godly women, let me say that this is NOT like all the other books. I found it encouraging, thought provoking, convicting, and enthralling. He does a great job of debunking our cultures subtle, and yet pervasive attempts to convince even well-meaning Christians of feminism. Now I may have been more highly exposed having received a degree in science, which is not the best atmosphere to find a Christian worldview. But you might be surprised how YOU react to how Chanski presents the Bible's instructions on a woman's role in the world.


Have you wondered:

Does culture influence how I am to act as a woman?
What Biblical role models am I to follow in this pursuit?
What lies have I believed about being a godly woman? or even what it means to have a gentle and quiet spirit?
Submission?
How to approach my husband boldly and yet humbly if I don't agree with a decision or action?
What does this look like if I'm single? a wife? a mother? a single mother?
Chanski challenges women to "Play their position". But to play your position, you first have to know your position. Chanski's book is a great place to help you understand scripture and the Biblical call for womanly dominion.


Check out the Girl Talk's blog post also recommending this book!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Sarah,

Thank you for your kind and gracious review of Womanly Dominion.

I hope the Lord will use it for great good.


Warmly,

Mark Chanski
Author of Manly Dominion & Womanly Dominion

Sarah Bebee said...

Thank you so much Mr. Chanski!! It was definately an encouragement to me! A few of my girlfriends already commented that they would like to read it as well! Thank you for your labor and study on biblical womanhood. It has made a difference in how I live each day - and I am thankful for that!

Eron said...

Sar,

Thanks for the review--you should write for the Booked Blog, or not.

And, uh, so did Mark Chanski just comment on your blog? I think, no, wait, I think Mark Chanski just comme--wait, no, yeah, he just did. Dang.

Kari had Mohler on hers. Sarah had Mark Chanski on hers. I have written more blogs that both of you put together and I get ZIP!!

Ugh.

Anyway.
E

Heather said...

I will definitely have to pick this up!