Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Our Trio is down to Two

I love random, bizzare, creepy, scary pets. I keep them in my classroom so the kids can ooh and ahh over them. I have a tarantula named Fuzzy; but that's not the bizzare pet that I am referring to. I also have three Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches. I mean these things are hideous. Sarah won't even eat lunch within 10 feet of these things. This will help you get an idea about how big they are. Remember those rectangular pink erasers that you used to have in elementary school? These cockroaches dwarf those erasers. They are "ginormous" as some of my kids would tell you. The coolest thing about them is this; when they feel threatened they hiss really loudly. REALLY loudly. You know when grease falls off a barbeque pit, hits the fire and makes a loud hissing noise? You know how loud that is? They can hiss that loud. No lie. It's intimidating. You can check out Hissing Cockroaches at this sight:
 
 
Well, their names are Larry, Moe and Curly and believe it or not, they have become loved by many in our classroom. Sadly, over spring break Larry passed away (Yes, I know them by name. Larry was the larger of the two brown roaches; Moe is the black roach). Funeral services will be held this afternoon as we bury him behind the school. Visitation will be all day today. Right now he rests in peace in the bottom of an empty goldfish box. He deserves the best. Comforting comments and prayers will be appreciated as it will be a tough day for all cockroach lovers.
 
Peace,
Ryan

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

creepy.............!

Jamie Butts said...

I don't even know what to say. I was starting to consider an ant farm for my classroom since the gecko idea seemed like too much work. (Who wants to have to round up crickets to feed a pet?) You are the coolest teacher ever. :) I'm sure your kids are sad, sad, sad. :) How did you handle the funeral? You didn't hold out any false hope of seeing the pets in heaven one day, did you? I would pay money (not much, but some) to see the service.
Thanks for the laugh.

Allison's Daily Rant said...

I had the chance to know Larry for a short time. He was a roach among roaches. His hiss always seemed to have a certain happiness to it. He will be missed. Chilly the Chinchilla, Stuart Little and Skittles the mice and all of the other 4th grade animals on the hall miss him greatly. :(